While studies are somewhat inconclusive, scientists have found a link between mold exposure and respiratory illness. If you have symptoms that seem to correlat with exposure to mold or damp locations, such as coughing, shortness of breath, and wheezing, it is important to get checked out by your doctor right away. Even if you do not have visible symptoms, you may want to seek medical attention if you are worried that you have inhaled mold spores.

Seeing a Doctor

The doctor will determine whether your symptoms are being caused by mold or by some other pre-existing condition. The doctor will also attempt to determine whether your illness is the result of asthma or allergies.


Whatever the specific diagnosis, the first step in treating these respiratory illnesses is to remove yourself from the moldy, damp environment. Studies have found that staying away from the mold can alleviate your symptoms. So make sure you don’t return to the area in question until all of the mold has been removed.